In view of the increasing negative events happening around the world here are five things you can do to help you stay positive.
- Take a news sabbatical. Listening to the news can be downright depressing. All bad news all of the time can drag you down and keep you there. Give yourself permission to stop listening to the news, especially before bed time.
- Use your influence to do good where you live. Shift your focus from what is happening in other parts of the world to your community. Get involved in making a positive change or contribution.
- Focus on what is working in your life. Choose one thing that you are grateful for and focus on it for the rest of the day.
- Express your appreciation to others. You can create a positive world one person at a time by saying thank you every chance you get to everyone you interact with – from the person who holds open a door for you to your child who does a chore to a cherished friend or loved one.
- Focus on what you can change and let go of what you can’t change. When faced with a distressing situation ask yourself if you can control over the events. If you do, change what you can. If you don’t, learn to let it go and move on.